Saturday, November 20, 2010

coffee table refinished


I check craigslist daily. 

Never really in the market for anything in particular. 

My garage still has my last craigslist find to refinish...

But, it would be a shame to miss a good deal.

Such as this coffee table.

$20. 

The 30 minute drive to get it, was totally worth it. 

(My daughter instantly loved her new climbing toy.)

It was more scratched than I had anticipated. 

But that just makes the "after" even better! :)



I stripped down the top.

Not once.

Not twice.

yup, third time's the charm!

It took me that many times to figure out how to "stain".

Let's just say I have a new appreciation for stained furniture.

What a pain.


And the After:


The top is stained a mix of mahogany and antique walnut jel stain. 
The bottom is rustoleum's Fossil spray paint.

I debated about buying new hardware and even filled the holes from these knobs so I could put a centered pull on each drawer. But, I decided to use what I had, and just spray painted the knobs oil-rubbed bronze.  You can still see the knicks in them, but they were free! :)

I'm very happy with the result! I put two coats of polyurethane on it...and determined I need lessons in that area. The coverage is NOT even, and might drive me batty, but, it's good enough.
For now.
 And my weekend project is finally finished.... one MONTH later. 


4 comments:

  1. nice job, very cute, luv it!
    I saw a coffee table like that is a thrift store a couple of weeks ago, for about the same price.
    I tried talking kelsey into it, but he wouldn't go for it, even when I offered it as my christmas present. sigh. i am sure I will see another one some day, when we have more money, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had this coffee table! I love it, so cute. I totally agre with you about stain though..a big pain. But it pays off if you do it right! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, looks great. What a great find and even better now that it's refinished. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks great! Fab find and make-over. I just got a table myself but have yet to start revamping ;-) Vising from Shanty2Chic =)

    ReplyDelete